On the 1st April, 1891 Southern portion of Lushai Hills was constituted as a separate District under Lt. Governor of Bengal. By proclamation of the Government of India, the South Lushai Hills was placed under the Administration of Assam on 1.4.1898. With the amalgamation of the South and the North into one District, the South Lushai Hills District was rendered as Sub – Division and the entire Lushai Hills District Administration was in the hands of Superintendent with its Headquarters at Aizawl and Sub – Divisional Officer at Lunglei ( then Lungleh ). The first Sub – Divisional Officer of Lungleh Sub – Division was F.C.T Halliday ( 1.4.1898 – 31.5.1898 )
The elevation of Mizo District to the Union Territory status in January 1972, again brought about a significant change in the Administrative set up of Mizoram. Three Districts were created namely, Aizawl, Lunglei and Chhimtuipui Districts.
The first Deputy Commissioner of Lunglei District was F. Pahnuna, IAS (14.10.1972 – 13.7.1973 ). The current Deputy Commissioner, Kulothungan A, IAS is the 31st Deputy Commissioner of Lunglei District.
The District is divided in to two Sub – Divisions viz Lunglei Sub – Division and Tlabung Sub Division, and into three Rural Development Blocks namely Lunglei RD Block, Lungsen RD Block and Bunghmun RD Block.