The General Administration Department looks after various important subjects as entrusted to it by “The Government of Mizoram (Allocation of Business) Rules, 2019”. The Department functions under the leadership of the Hon’ble Chief Minister. The Secretariat is headed by the Principal Secretary, Pu Navin Kumar Choudhary, IAS ably assisted by one Additional Secretary, one Joint Secretary, one Deputy Secretary, two Under Secretaries, two Superintendents and 20 supporting staff.
GAD, being entrusted with “District Administration” is the Administrative Department for all offices of Deputy Commissioners of all the 11 (eleven) Districts of Mizoram, viz, Aizawl, Lunglei, Saiha, Champhai, Kolasib, Serchhip, Mamit, Lawngtlai, Saitual, Khawzawl and Hnahthial. The Deputy Commissioners look after all administration in the respective districts and are the authority to issue Inner-line permits (ILP), Tribal Certificates and Residential Certificates.
It is the Administrative as also the Directorate for all the 7 (seven) Mizoram Houses in New Delhi, Kolkata, Mumbai, Guwahati, Shillong, Silchar and Bengaluru. The Mizoram Houses are Guest Houses for Mizos and all other employees of the State Government and are being utilized by all walks of people, patients who go to these places for medical treatment, students, officials on tour and the general public during travel, etc. GAD also looks after the State Guest House & Circuit House, Aizawl.
Protocol & Hospitality Wing, looked after by a State Protocol Officer and supporting staff functions as a separate wing under GAD and is entrusted with hospitality to VIP visitors and all ceremonial functions including Celebration of Republic Day and Independence Day.
Aviation Wing functions under GAD and attends all matters relating to Aviation in the State. It looks after Lengpui airport and Helicopter Operations to all District Headquarters.
General Administration Department is entrusted with the following Government subjects:
- Transaction/Allocation of Business under Govt. of Mizoram.
- District Administration.
- Mizoram Houses and Offices outside Mizoram.
- State Guest House, Circuit House and Dak Bungalow/Rest House.
- Air Travel Permission
- Allotment, Maintenance and Furnishing of General Pool Government Quarters.
- Annual Administration Report.
- Regulation of flying drones/ Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) and the Licensing Authority for Drones/UAVs.
- Ceremonial functions including celebration of Republic Day/ Independence Day.
- Creation of District and Sub-Division.
- Creation, Reorganization and Amalgamation of Department(s).
- Determination of ceremonial procedure and precedence.
- District Development Committee/Board except Lunglei HPC.
- Entitlement of space, furniture and office equipment.
- Official entitlements (e.g. accommodation, telephones, vehicles, foreign tours, air travel)
- Entitlement/Purchase of Govt. Vehicles.
- Matters relating to National Flag, National Emblem, National Anthem and State Emblem.
- Foreign tours/travel.
- Hiring of private building for office accommodation.
- Protocol & Hospitality.
- Requisition of Helicopter and matters relating to helipad. Air communication between Mizoram and other places.
- Sinlung Hills Council and Sialkal Range Development Council.
- Government complexes at various places.
- Special Casual Leave.
- Statues and Memorials.
- All matter pertaining to elections, including State Election Commission.
- State Mourning and Obituary
- Mizoram State Information Commission
- Co-ordination relating to UID
- Subjects not allocated to any Department.