Mamit District was created by way of bifurcation of the erstwhile Aizawl District on 11th March, 1998. With the declaration of Mamit as the district capital, the Office of the Sub-Divisional Officer (Civil), Mamit was upgraded to the office of the Deputy Commissioner, Mamit.
The Deputy Commissioner has got multifarious functions and the functions and works of the office mainly falls under the following heads-
- General Administration.
- Maintenance of Law & Order.
- Disaster Management & Rehabilitation.
- Administration of Justice.
- Co-ordination with other departments.
- Enforcement of Inner Line Pass.
- Preparation of Electoral Rolls and conduct of Elections.
- Revenue Administration in the district.
- Celebration of National Important Days.
- Implementation of MPLADs, MLA LADs.
- Aspirational District Programme.
- District Level Centre for Women
- Implementation of PMJVK
- Article 275(A)
BRIEF HISTORY OF THE ESTABLISHMENT BRANCH:
The General Establishment Branch is the main branch of the DC’s office through which all important correspondences are routed for communication with other departments. It is headed by a Superintendent who supervises the entire staff of the office. The staff consists of UDC, LDCs, Computer Operators and Peons.